Sunday, April 5, 2009

Marijuana Good For Your Brain

marijuana cures brain cancer
I knew it! It was almost time somebody announced a controversial finding about something in this upside down inside out world of ours. It happened to be marijuana and I could not be happier even though this meant my fantasy of secretive gardening with my unique pottery collection has come to an end.

Researchers of Complutense University, Madrid have discovered that main ingredient of marijuana, THC (tetrahydracanabinol) effectively killed cancerous tumors in mice. The therapy was also used in two patients with brain cancer and positive results were found. Details were published in April issue of Journal of Clinical Investigation:

Cannabinoid action induces autophagy-mediated cell death through stimulation of ER stress in human glioma cells

I can only get this much serious here, no more.

3 comments:

  1. I was not really aware that marijuana specifically had some effect on cancer cells/tissues. When I read the title of this article, I was not really excited because mj does have its effects on the brain, both stimulating and sedating. The effect can actually cause the brain to better absorb any incoming information. I remember a friend who got an excellent score on an exam and was later found out to have smoked mj before taking the exam. Anyway, this breakthrough in research should at least be given more attention. Who knows, the plant may actually pave way to the cure of cancer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one the few serious posts here as I mentioned before. Though the way I wrote the post might seem a bit light-hearted, the linked research is not. I guessed most of the media and 90% of Internet would tackle the issue from a "pot perspective" so...

    Cancer is a serious health hazard which modern medicine has failed miserably so far. Let us hope this research leads to a cancer-free 21st century.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Learn about medical marijuana, about how taxing it can help our economy while at the same time, we can help the sick. Visit our information center:
    Medical Marijuana Orange County

    ReplyDelete